Provincial Credit Union amalgamated with Stella Maris Credit Union in North Rustico on October 1st, 2013, and became Provincial Credit Union.
The original Provincial Credit Union was incorporated on December 8th, 1968 and operated under Charter Number 70. Provincial was formed through a merger of three Credit Unions already in existence within the Charlottetown area. These Credit Unions were St. Dunstan’s and Charlottetown, which were originally organized during the 1930’s, and Capital Credit Union, which was formed in October of 1962. In addition, over the years a number of other Credit Unions joined with Provincial. In November 1981, Provincial Credit union relocated from Queen Street to 281 University Avenue in Charlottetown. This new, more visible location and facility enabled the credit union to grow and expand in the community. In 1995, Provincial Credit Union opened Charlottetown’s first 24-hour drive-thru ATM, and in August of 2001, opened a branch office in Stratford,
The new Provincial Credit Union now serves more than 15,000 members from various communities in and around the Charlottetown area and the north shore including: Charlottetown, West Royalty, Stratford, Sherwood, Scotchfort, Rocky Point, Brackley, Hillsborough Park, East Royalty, Cornwall, Winsloe, North River, Crossroads, Elliot River, Fort Augustus, Pownal, as well as North Rustico and Cavendish. Provincial Credit Union in Charlottetown, Stratford and North Rustoci is part of the PEI Credit Union System, which today serves more than 60,000 members with a complete range of professional products and services.